Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rose That Grew From Concrete

"Some how, some way, we gotta make it up out this life"

In this day and age negativity outweighs positivity. You can go to WorldStarHipHop.com and find a multitude of videos where niggas act like niggas. I haven’t been to WorldStar in about a month or so but I’m willing to bet that there’s a video where some people are fighting, a video with Kat Stacks, some diss record, a video where somebody holds 18 guns at a cameraman, and a video where some half nekked woman bounces her ass to some corny rap song. If I’m wrong, forgive me. But I doubt it.

You would never find a video like this on the site.



This is Deonte Bridges, valedictorian at Booker T Washington High school in Atlanta, Ga. He is the first black valedictorian in more than a decade at the school. He has amassed over one million dollars in scholarships. I repeat, he has amassed over $1,000,000 in scholarships. I just like writing that out. And these are academic scholarships, not athletic scholarships. Not knocking people who use athletics to enhance their education but it’s a difference and that difference should be appreciated. Deonte is an inspiration to me that there are children out there who are doing it the right way and not trying to be a hood star. If you don’t get moved by his speech, you don’t have a soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment