Monday, July 12, 2010

Issey Miyake

I don’t think I’m the only one who’s tired of the current state of hip hop. I feel like nothing that occurs these days would surprise me. I’m sorry, but the bar has been lowered so far that almost nothing seems ridiculous anymore.

I was sent this video recently:



It’s clearly a satire of Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci Mane & OJ Da Juiceman, and that thing they call music. However, you listen to the parody verses and its not a whole lot of difference between this and what’s being played on the radio nowadays. Outrageous.

I came across this video the other day. Here is a clip of Pill and Freddie Gibbs talking about verses that mean something to them.

Freddie Gibbs + Pill = 3:16 from Yours Truly on Vimeo.



Pill, no fault on his part, recites his own verses and why he thinks they are noteworthy. Freddie, on the other hand, spits a verse from the late great Pimp C. It’s one thing to hear a classic rap verse, but it’s another thing to hear one of your favorite rappers rapping said verse. You gain a newfound respect for new artists that pay tribute to artists that came before them and influenced their style. I definitely want to see Freddie prosper. He deserves it.


As a bonus, I’ve included the original version of the UGK song, Freddie’s Pimp C tribute song, and Bun B’s autobiographical song detailing the rise to superstardom of UGK. Country rap tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment