Saturday, February 5, 2011

Am I My Brother's Keeper?

Recently, I’ve had less and less desire to go out bar hopping and club hopping all the time. I still enjoy hanging out with friends, and I still enjoy going out and people watching, just not as frequently as I used to do in my glory days. While in college, I would find any reason to justify going out. Usually, that reason ended up being “It’s college”. But now that I’m trying to become a productive member of society, things are slightly different.

A friend of mine hit me up yesterday like “Hey, let’s go grab a beer somewhere”. So I agree to meet up with them at a bar. I’m pulling up in the parking deck trying to find somewhere to park when there are few people walking in front of my car. I wait for them to pass when I notice something. One of the women walking in front of my car is visibly pregnant. Like 8 months “I might go into premature labor and deliver a gut full of human at any moment” pregnant.



I turn to my friend in the car and try to make sure that my eyes were not deceiving me. He agreed that yes, it was indeed a pregnant woman walking past us, heading into the bar. After our fit of laughter had died down, we decided to enter the bar looking for this woman. I wanted to find her and offer to buy her a drink, just to see what she would do. Unfortunately I didn’t find her, but it was still worth the laugh.

I woke up today and thought about the situation with less comedic lenses. I don’t like judging people, but it’s clear that that woman is lacking strong voices that have her best interests in mind. Even if he didn’t indulge in any drinking – I pray to God that she didn’t – she still was walking around a smoke-filled basement dive bar at 8 months pregnant. That can’t be the healthiest of locations.
She was accompanied by another female, so I’m guessing they were both out and about looking for men they deem acceptable. I can guarantee for a fact that she wasn’t still with the child’s father. There’s no way I would allow the woman carrying my seed to go to a bar. That is beyond idiotic. Then I had a moment of clarity surrounding the entire situation. That woman isn’t fit to be a parent.

Just because you can have sex doesn’t mean you should be a parent. Just like just because you are over a certain age doesn’t mean you should be married. Everyone is different, and every situation is a case by case basis, but some situations give off clear warning signs. Going to a bar at 8 months pregnant is clearly one of those situations. The same decision process she used to justify going to the bar at 8 months pregnant is going to be responsible for the rearing, disciplining and caring for another human being. And that doesn’t sit well with me at all.

The kids don’t stand a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment