Sunday, January 9, 2011

Who's Hungry?

I had this conversation awhile back with someone who told me they were a vegetarian. I asked them why they were a vegetarian and they gave me this roundabout response that basically left me feeling like they did it just to say they were a vegetarian. Like using their dietary feelings as an ice breaker of sorts. Not knocking you, but you should have a reason behind it.

It really started to confuse me when the person told me that they eat meatless hot dogs and they enjoy veggie burgers. I’m sorry but isn’t the purpose of not eating meat so that you don’t want to eat meat? Isn’t that what the whole thing is based off of? Why would you convince yourself you don’t like meat and then eat stuff that looks and tastes just like meat? Maybe I just don’t get it. Maybe I’m missing something here. But I doubt it.



There are vegetarians, vegans and people who will eat anything. Vegetarians choose not to eat meat. They aren't naturally inclined to not eat meat. They usually have other reasons as opposed to taste as to why they don't eat meat. People that do eat meat eat it for taste. No hidden reasoning. Vegans are extreme vegetarians.

You could use this same corollary to describe people’s sexual inclinations. In this case, people who eat meat are straight. They know what they like to eat and they eat it. Vegetarians are your bisexuals. They try to make themselves feel better about themselves for not eating meat products, but in reality, they would eat a steak if no one was looking. That's why they try to eat veggie burgers and other bullshit. Vegans are gay people. They know what they like to eat, and stand steadfast by their decision.

I’ve met a ton of people who claimed to be bisexual and it all pretty much boiled down to they had chosen which side of the fence they were on but pretended to straddle the fence for shock value purposes. Just to say “I’m different than you. I truly am down for whatever.” When in actuality, that couldn’t be farther than the truth. Similar to vegetarians, if you have legitimate reasons or objections for why you choose to abstain from eating meat, I’m perfectly fine with that. More power to you. But if you don’t, stop being dishonest with yourself and everyone around you. Make a decision and stick with it and stand by it.

Stop convincing yourself that tofu is filet mignon. Be happy with the tofu you got, or go down to your nearest steak restaurant and dig in. Bon appétit.



*And by the way, I googled "Vegan" and this was the first picture to pop up. Go figure. I blame Oregon. And also, why I want this guy to emerge with a W tomorrow.



Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment