Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Full House



This was my house in like 2003 I wanna say. This was after Hurricane Isabel came through. There were a lot of trees in our subdivision and every year we would just miss hurricane season. We got hurricanes and tropical storms but never anything this bad. This year was different though.

Me and my family evacuated from out of her house after neighbors came to our door telling us about all the swaying trees hovering over our house. We had intended to wait in our laundry room huddled up and weather the storm, like we always did. We rushed over to a neighbor’s house across the street and I stood under their front awning and watched every tree fall on my house. Every. Tree.

That’s my car there too. I had just turned 16 and I had like 2-3 more months before I got my driver’s license. I was so excited to drive and then this happened. My insurance company didn’t cover it either. They gave me some bullshit excuse saying that my parents didn’t have liability insurance or something. This is where my distrust of insurance companies began, but that’s neither here nor there.

The next day, picking up the pieces of our house was crazy. Everyone was walking past our house, taking pictures of the damage and stuff. This isn’t a news story, this was my home. For the next 2-3 weeks we weren’t allowed to stay there. Meaning we bounced from relatives house to house. Living out of our car. Taking showers and washups standing in front of bathroom sinks at rest stops and shit. I had a big life crisis you can say, where I even went as far as to question how God could allow this to happen to me. I was the good kid, the obedient kid, the studious kid. The studious kid who was now temporarily homeless. That was definitely the lowest point of my life, up until this point. I don’t know if there will ever be a point lower than that.

When I say I don’t regret anything that’s happened in my life I truly mean it. This is how I came up with my motto that it’s “Better to live with reject than live with regret”. During that 2 weeks where we bounced around looking for a temporary place to stay I thought about all the stuff I hadn’t done in life. All that I felt I was missing out on. How things could have turned out so differently. And I made a promise to myself that I would never be able to look back at my life and regret anything ever again. A promise that I will never allow myself to break to myself. Ever.

Some people get dealt shitty cards in life. And others just don’t know the rules of the game that they’re playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment